Astronomy Merit Badge – Gardner Camp
Friday March 12th 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
The Mississippi Valley Council is partnering with Gardner Camp to offer Astronomy Merit Badge on Friday March 12th at Gardner Camp in Hull, IL from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. A snack will be provided.
PREREQUISITES are required. Please print out the workbook and complete the following prior to arrival. Here is the workbook: https://ps.uci.edu/~observat/telescope/BSA_Astronomy_MeritBadge_Workbook.pdf
- #2 Use the website https://www.lightpollutionmap.info to research the light pollution at Gardner Camp (26558 160th Street, Hull, IL 62343). What is our Bortile Scale classification and what does this mean?
- #5b What planets will be visible at GC on March 12th?
- #8 – Requires you to pick one of the options and do – please be prepared which one you will choose: Gardner Camp will address the following:
- #8b Make a list. Star Charts will be provided by GC that night.
- #8c We will give the Scouts a list of upcoming monthly Star Parties being held at GC if they are interested in completing this step.
- #9 Research astronomy careers, etc
For More Information on Gardner Camp’s Astronomy Program visit https://gardnercamp.org/astronomy/
Cost: $25 per Scout
There are only 40 slots available for this merit badge. In the event of rain or cloudy weather, length of class may be shortened but not canceled.
For more information, contact Program Director Heather Huebner.